email from the organisers:

“Ocean Swimmers,

After careful consideration of forecast ocean conditions for this week end
the Homeloans Caves Beach Ocean Swim organising committee has made a
decision to postpone the event to Sunday March 10th.

Ocean swimming is a challenging sport and as an organising committee we need
to define when challenging becomes dangerous.

Our event insurance is based on criteria .The forecast swell and wind this
week end exceeds an acceptable level of risk for the committee.

We appreciate this could be disappointing to some swimmers but also a
welcome relief to others.

In calling the postponement at this time we hope to avoid complications for
those travelling some distance to swim

All current entries will be automatically entered for the March 10th swim.

If you are unable to swim on this day please contact Caves Beach Surf
Lifesaving Club at

Forecast from Bureau of Meteorology

Forecast for Saturday 2 February

Winds: Southeasterly 25 to 30 knots turning southerly early in the morning.
Seas: 2 to 3 metres.

Swell: Easterly 2 to 3 metres. The chance of thunderstorms in the morning.
Large swells breaking dangerously close inshore.

Forecast for Sunday 3 February

Winds: Southerly 20 to 30 knots decreasing to 15 to 20 knots during the
morning then turning southeasterly

10 to 15 knots during the evening. Seas: Up to 3 metres decreasing below 1.5
metres during the afternoon.

Swell: Easterly 2 to 3 metres. Large swells breaking dangerously close

I didn’t pike on the swim. The swim was scared of me

So I had an unexpected Saturday night off and…..

  1. Ro has just had a minor op (she’s fine)
  2. Significant other was working all weekend.
  3. Sister P and Steph were out of town for a wedding
  4. Fiona just had a baby.

So I sat at home and had an early night  on a Saturday. As usual.

Wish I could tell you I enjoyed the unexpected sleep-in. Except apparently my body doesn’t understand the concept any more. So i woke up early on a Sunday morning. As usual,

Sigh. #Swimmerproblems,